Saturday, October 15, 2011

This Mystic Decade!

Hot Snakes. Five short years was all the time this killer band was together. But, in that short time they hammered through several great albums. Their music is filled with so much intensity and power that it is impossible to turn off.

I was introduced to them through a record store employee/acquaintance of mine in college. He was standing near me when I picked up their second album Suicide Invoice. He very excitedly informed me how badly I needed to buy it. It was a self-released album from former members of Drive Like Jehu (Rick Froberg) and Rocket From the Crypt (John Reis), so I figured it was probably worth it.

I put it in the CD player in my car as I left and... it was more than worth it. From the first bouncing, manic, scathing guitar riffs to the final drum beat this record creates its own place in the world of music. I left it in the player for weeks. Unfortunately, I never came across another of their records until years later.

In fact, I was in Flagstaff, Arizona when I found their Peel Sessions. This is the most fabulous angst-ridden 9:08 you'll ever hear! If you do nothing else today... buy it!

No comments: