Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Is That Mould?

I learned about Bob Mould from my brother. The first time I remember dropping his name was as a LatchKey kid in St. Louis. It was probably 1988. Some older kids were watching us younger kids and we were taking turns writing band names on the chalkboard trying to one-up each other.

Some kid wrote Hoodoo Gurus and I wrote Hüsker Dü. I really only knew what the album covers looked like, but it blew him away nonetheless. I then drew the Dead Kennedys symbol and an anarchy sign. Suddenly, he thought I was pretty cool...

As I grew up, I really got into Bob Mould's music. I started out with his solo record from 1990 called Black Sheets of Rain. I was really getting into this record and Hüsker Dü's last record Warehouse: Songs & Stories when my brother told me I better check out Mould's first solo record, Workbook. This was far more mellow and introspective than Black Sheets of Rain. I wasn't quite ready for it. Mainly because it was 1992 and Mould had a new band: Sugar.

I was given Sugar's first album for Christmas (again, same brother) and they became a staple of my youth. Complete Hard-Charging Sonic Face Melt! Perfect for a teenager! Hüsker Dü was perfect teenage music too.

Mould's music runs the gamut of musical expression. Even during Hüsker Dü's lifetime he created some introspective stuff (Candy Apple Grey). He was a key figure of the early 80s hardcore scene and an openly gay man. His music is important and should be remembered. Especially today. Happy Birthday, Bob!

No comments: