Thursday, October 6, 2011

Nebraska

For whatever reason I'm in an introspective mood... this morning that translates to Springsteen's 1982 album, Nebraska. Somehow I knew when I bought this record I was in for a ride. I had The Boss' records from the early 70s and liked them. But, I was reticent to go near the "Born in the U.S.A." era due to the excessive hype (and airplay) it received during my childhood. It wasn't until much later that I actually listened to the lyrics of that song and realized how serious it was.

Anyway, the second I saw it, I knew I was going to buy Nebraska. I was surprised it was released in 1982, but the cover drew me in instantly. It's stark, sweeping Midwestern agricultural scene was too much to ignore. It just called to me.

Nebraska is a quiet, often haunting record and it completely changed my image of Springsteen. I listened to it three times in a row when I bought it and suddenly understood why they called him The Boss. This record is totally boss! I suppose if I had to pick a song it would be "Highway Patrolman". A tragic story about two brothers told by a wonderful storyteller!

No comments: