Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gangsta?

There are far too many musical fakers today. "You either are or you are not, hard." That's what I always say. Peter Tosh was hard. Period. His message was plain as day in songs like "Stepping Razor" and "I Am That I Am". Unlike many high-profile artists, he never pulled punches. He often said the wrong thing at the wrong time because that was what was really on his mind. He seemingly had no fear. Pete was even intimidating in interviews.

Obviously, I knew about Tosh from listening to the Wailers, but my first exposure to Pete's solo career was when a college friend bought Equal Rights on vinyl. We went back to his house to listen to it and I was in awe. I had long been a fan of reggae, but this was something else!

The record opens with "Get Up, Stand Up", which the Wailers had recorded nearly a decade before this album was released in 1977. It seemed like it was always meant to be Pete's song. The original never sounded the same again!

He is the type of singer that has the ability to have a conversation with his audience while he sings. The song "Brand New Secondhand" is that kind of song. But, I knew that about Pete from way back.

The Wailers' debut album, Catch A Fire, showcases Pete's talent on "400 Years" and "Stop That Train". These songs are tough. They are quite different from the songs Bob sings. Pete has an edge that is impossible to fake. The man is a singular talent and yesterday would have been his birthday.

Unfortunately, Jamaican thugs murdered Pete on September 11th, 1987. R.I.P, brotha!

No comments: