Saturday, December 20, 2008

Rocky Mountain Christmas

Yesterday, after having a discussion with my wife about our lack of holiday music, I made a special visit to my local independent music shop - Music Millennium. Every year they dust off their collection of holiday music and make a nice display. In years past, I have generally skipped right over it without so much as a glance.

But this is our 1st Christmas together and I was asked nicely to get some good holiday music. So, I slowly perused the used section to see what gems might be hiding. Immediately, my eyes landed on John Denver's Christmas album, Rocky Mountain Christmas. I grabbed the CD and noticed the price was only $3! That settled it. We were gonna have a John Denver Christmas. I figure, if I have to listen to holiday music, then I get to listen to it my way!

I recall laughing at my aunt for listening to John Denver when I was young. Now, I own several of his early 70s records and I have to say... the man has a great voice! Not only does he have a great voice, but he truly made some great songs!

This 1975 record showcases the range of his voice. He has such a smooth, full, broad and comforting voice. I can see why so many people loved his music. This is a great record to play for relaxing and enjoying the holiday season. You may need to light a fire and drink some mulled wine to get the full effect!

This album has mostly traditional holiday songs, but also has the classic "Please, Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas)" as well as a Denver original "Aspenglow". "Aspenglow" is a beautiful song that sounds as much like snow falling as actual snow falling. So, regardless of what you think of John Denver, give this record a chance! This is good stuff!

No comments: