Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Never Thought These Words Would Come Out Of My Mouth!

For the past few years my musical palette has been changing shape. It now responds to different flavors than ever before. I spent most of my adolescence poo-pooing country music all up and down it's bass-ackwards face! I rarely, if ever, had a decent thing to say about the entire genre. I was much more interested in Helmet and the like.

During my high school years in the deep south what I knew to be country music centered on scootin' boots, fried chicken and TV guides. Of course, there were the obligatory tracks about ex's and pick-up trucks. And if they were serious artists they'd throw in one about tractors.

In recent years I began uncovering American masters like Townes Van Zandt and John Prine. Despite being considered by many to be folk artists, both of these guys sound about as country as country can be at various times.

Neither have the voice of a crooner, but they can both send chills up your spine!

My initial infatuation with the lyrics of these two (and others) lead to an interest in the music, which again was somewhere between folk and country. At the very least, they took their country roots into a folk setting.

My new interest in the 'idea' of country music caused me to rediscover Uncle Tupelo, a band I overlooked as a teen, and lead to my discovery of Jay Farrar's current band, Son Volt.

After committing every song either band ever made to memory, I began an earnest search for similar sounds. My search lead me to a newer band called Old Crow Medicine Show. They were good but, last summer I found a sampler disc from Yep Roc Records that featured a song from a band called Chatham County Line.

This was exactly what I was looking for! Their new album IV just came out and is stellar! These guys have only been serious about being together for about five years and this new album proves that they are indeed serious! They all have superior command of their instruments, including the vocals. They have all the sensibilities of classic country with a modern feeling. Rootsy, gutsy, great!

If you like "Alt-Country"... get this record! I love it!



I never thought these words would come out of my mouth: I love country music!

2 comments:

Board Shanty said...

Ooooo, I'm going to check this out. I'm a big fan of The Old 97's and Neko Case. You?

Bert says: said...

I know The Old 97's record 'Fight Songs'...