Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Reason To Go To Oklahoma?

Oklahoma is not exactly my idea of a classic vacation destination. When planning vacations, Norman, OK doesn't enter into the conversation. Apart from the Timothy McVeigh incident, there isn't much of a pull towards Oklahoma City either. Regardless, I put my notions of The Dust Bowl State aside recently when I came across a band by the name of Tulsa. The name stood out. It just sounded like something I should hear. Every now and then the mere name of a band draws me in. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.

Historically, most bands that have chosen to name themselves after cities were from those cities. This band, which is actually from 1,600 miles away in Boston, is reminiscent of other current bands (I momentarily thought of Band of Horses), but they deserve to be distinguished as a unique force in the music world.

Their first album, I Was Submerged, was released on the Indie label Park The Van this year. The album, which clocks in at just shy of 30 minutes, is an engaging listen from beginning to end. It has moments of trance-like sweeping brilliance and plenty of rolling echoey madness. I heard the song "Shaker" before I found the whole album and I had to listen to it about four times before it sank in. That said, I knew after 20 seconds that I wanted more.

I'm not saying I'm going to Oklahoma any time soon. I'm just saying that you should check this record out! It rocks and it ponders, it rolls and it wanders! I'm ready for more from these guys!

No comments: