Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Here Comes A Regular....

"All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy. A fool will waste his life, God rest his guts."

This 1985 song didn't come to me until college. But, it quickly became my midnight tear-in-my-beer song. An absolute underground gem!

Paul Westerberg was already known to me. I'd had his early 90s solo albums since middle school, but had yet to really devour The Replacements. He was also featured on the soundtrack to my favorite teenage movie, Singles.

My brother and his friends were fans and that's how The Replacements came to me. I knew a few of the rowdier Replacements songs, but "Here Comes A Regular" shined a brand new light on them for me.

This is as good a story as any of the period. Better, in fact, than most. Every time I hear it I am transported to the dark corner of a dank bar where a nostalgic tippler sits in a cloud of smoke muttering to himself of the departed good old days before his sunken frame wanders out into the deep, dark, frozen night...

No comments: