Sunday, January 15, 2012

Black Freedom

That is the translation (from Swahili) of the name of the ineffable roots group Black Uhuru. I knew about the group long before I actually knew the group. I really only knew two songs: "Sinsemilla" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". Both are good. Neither are amazing.

When I lived in Prague, I found a music store that carried primarily English-speaking music from the US & UK. It was overpriced, but the selection was shockingly good.

I was in island mode, for some reason, for most of my time there. I was on a mission for the late-70s bands of the second wave of roots music. Black Uhuru is easily the best of the bunch.

I happened upon their 1981 release, Red. It was about $10 (75 Czech Crowns at the time). Too much. But, I was in dire need of new tunes. I bought it, took it home and proceeded to have my mind absolutely blown! This is a stellar record! The energy on this album is infectious. Impossible to pick favorites, but the following are standouts: "Youth of Eglington", "Sponji Reggae", "Sistren" and "Utterance".

They followed Red with the more club-friendly Chill Out in 1982. Also a good record with hardly a dud on it, but very different from Red. But, I shouldn't forget the record that preceded Red, Sinsemilla. This has a more relaxed feel than the later records.

This was the record that brought them out of Jamaica. It solidified them as the new sound. Michael Rose's voice is unique and is complimented perfectly by Puma Jones. Yet, the essential sounds of Sly & Robbie are what give the early 80s records of Uhuru so much power!

You will not be disappointed with any of the following records: Sinsemilla, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Red, Tear It Up: Live or Chill Out. All of these came out in a three year period (their best!).

No comments: