Monday, May 17, 2010

The American Analog Set

Until very recently, I had never listened to The American Analog Set, but had heard their name in conversations about lo-fi music. As usual, I was in my favorite record shop looking for new stuff to listen to and came across one of their records called Know By Heart. Generally, I like to get into a new band by starting with their first record, but this time the price was right ($4) so I just went for it. My decision was made easier by the title of the first track: "Punk as Fuck".  I actually laughed out loud because I knew they were on the mellow side. It seemed that the song must be some kind of inside joke and I was ready to get in on it!

I guess another thing that contributed to my leap into the world of The American Analog Set was the fact that I knew they came from Austin, Texas. Austin has been churning out really good bands for over a decade now including Spoon, The Black Angels and Explosions in the Sky.

Anyway, this album is just the right blend of dream-pop drone and elegant lo-fi. I have had it about two weeks and have probably listened to it about eleven times straight through. I am currently on the lookout for their other records. This one has plenty of sarcasm and wit. Plenty of ambience. Just plenty! Good record. Pick it up!

1 comment:

Bert says: said...

By the way... I just bought an earlier record of theirs. Equally great stuff!