Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shoegazers of the World Unite and Take Over!

I think I finally understand where the 'Shoegazers' got their inspiration. This music got its name because the media said the bands (My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Catherine Wheel, Kitchens of Distinction, Swervedriver, etc.) just stared at their shoes as they played. I have now lived in Portland, Oregon for 5 years and the seemingly neverending dark leaky faucet they call winter drives me into seasonal depression. 'Shoegaze' music came out of the UK in the late 80s and UK winters are very similar to those of the Pacific Northwest.

Anyway, as I have been stuck indoors for the past couple months with little interest in lurking about in the Portland darkness 'Shoegaze' is the only thing I want to listen to regularly. For anyone out there who doesn't know this music I urge you to seek it out. Layers of distorted and fuzzy/echoey guitars careening out of control over a droning, repetitive rhythm section and sometimes haunting vocals. May sound weird, but this hypnotic, addictive music is a special section of musical history and should not be overlooked. Despite the sometimes caustic and angsty angle of the music it is actually delightfully addictive and at times rather pop-influenced.

No comments: