Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Don't Follow

Prompted by a friend's post, I took a look at my 90s tunes. One of my all-time favorite songs quickly came to me..."Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains on their 1993 album Jar of Flies.

One of Alice in Chains' best-kept secrets, this song has a special place in my heart...

In 2006, I moved to Prague. One night myself, two English friends and a random guy I worked with were out at a very small bar. We were the only ones there so the young bartender let us pick out some songs on our guitars. After cycling through a handful of well-known numbers our Czech bartender could sing along with and throwing in a few obscure ones we each liked we began running low on ideas.

A moment of silence passed before Billy the Brit began picking out "Don't Follow". He very nearly stopped as he thought no one knew what he was playing. I urged him on and sang it (eyes closed) with all I had.

That was the spark that set the fire and we belted 'em out for another hour!

No comments: