Thursday, August 18, 2011

The War on Drugs!

I'm not talking about the Reagan 80s... this new record by The War on Drugs is fantastic! I don't often use the word fantastic, but I listened to this four times all the way through today and didn't once feel inclined to turn it off!

This record creates an easy vibe. The dream-like vocals play a large part. The record was released on the label Secretly Canadian, which is also the label of Damien Jurado... one of my favorites.

The album incites a range of emotions as it rolls through several different musical styles. At times this record is anthemic, atmospheric, Dylanesque, dreamy and even flirts with synth-pop. The Dylan comparison is no mistake as these guys are clearly devoted fans.

Pay particular attention to "Brothers", "Your Love is Calling My Name", "Come to the City" and "Black Water Falls". Very pleased I bought this! Incidentally... it was released on my birthday. I had to buy it!

No comments: